|Testimonials||Book Order Form||Teacher’s Guides||Conferences|
Programs for Children
My K-5 programs demonstrate how I research, write and illustrate my nonfiction picture books that celebrate nature. My presentations are tailored to your occasion, curriculum, and audience.
Using visual props and a PowerPoint format, I share:
• my source material, manuscript drafts, sketches, storyboards, dummies and final illustrations;
• fascinating scientific facts ranging from how animals carry their young to how flower shapes attract pollinators;
• the importance of conveying accurate information in nonfiction shown through errors I made before scientific experts corrected them;
• how to add sparkle to writing with strong verbs and adjectives, vivid synonyms and rich alliteration;
• how children can become "picture detectives" by discerning changes between my sketches and final images, enhancing their visual literacy skills; and
• how they can realize their dreams with patience and persistence, as I did to become an author and illustrator.
What Teachers and Students Say
"Her presentation was thoughtfully crafted, engaging, and hit on so many of the points we try to raise with our readers and writers!"
Deborah Hensley, Horace Mann Elementary School, Wash, DC
"Her freshness of approach, honesty and enthusiasm enchanted the children."
Ann Edmonds, The Galloway School, Atlanta, GA
"A marvelous guest author/illustrator for any elementary school group of children."
Jeffrey Brewster, International School of Brussels, Belgium
"The part I loved was when you told us your mistakes and how you fixed them."
Fourth grader, Harford Day School, Bel Air, Maryland
Click on this Testimonials tab for more comments.
Book Signing: I'm happy to sign books. Click the link up above for book order information and an order form that can be customized.
Tech Requirements: an LCD projector and screen; a microphone (preferably a lapel type); and a table for my props. I bring my own MAC laptop and adapter.
Programs for Adults
I enjoy presenting to adults, from teachers to aspiring children's book authors and illustrators to those who simply love picture books. Click here for a list of conferences and other events at which I have spoken.
"Susan made an outstanding contribution to our Visual Arts and Learning Workshop."
Barbara O'Brien, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, GA
Programs for Educators
I demonstrate how teachers and education students can use my books to teach in the classroom via hands-on activities in language arts, visual arts, science, social studies, math and movement. I help them make powerful connections between my books and their students' lives.
“You were the highlight of our week. The students so enjoyed you.”
Dr. Carolyn Cook, Mount St. Mary’s University
Here are some sample classroom activities using my books:
Stripes of All Types
Let's Make Art! A Workshop
Everyone is an artist, so let's make art!
I begin my workshop by reading from one of my picture books selected by my host. I demonstrate how I illustrated the book, from sketches to final paintings. Next, I lead participants in an exploration of different shapes, colors and patterns, using my illustrations as examples. Then the participants design their own artwork in brightly colored oil pastels, and leave with their own vibrant creation.
“Your workshop may have been one of the best ever. Thank you for providing all of us with such magic!”
Melissa McDonald, 2019 Gaithersburg Book Festival